Full Day Island Explorer
Full Day Island Explorer (9 hrs)
We are perfectly positioned to take you on a boat cruise to the more remote & pristine off-shore islands of the Hauraki Gulf.
Destinations include either Great Barrier Island, the Mokohinau Islands group, or the Hen & Chicken Islands.
This 9 hour boat trip includes all our water-based activities, with each location very unique. Most of the islands are nature reserves, with great bird & marine life, crystal clear waters, and stunning scenery.
Travel time to each of the islands is approximatley 2 hours, where we anchor in a sheltered bay for lunch and plenty of time to snorkel, kayak, paddle board, or just relax and admire the incredible scenery & serenity.
Island Explorer Destinations
Hen & Chicken Islands
Taranga Island & Marotere Islands -five islands that have been a protected nature reserve & wildlife refuge for more than 60 years!
- Renowned for its birdlife, many species of which are extinct on the mainland.
- Surrounded by rocky reefs and are known for excellent diving & snorkeling.
- Great opportunities for dolphin sightings.
A small group of remote islands lying furthest from the mainland. The surrounding sea has crystal clear waters teeming with sea life.
- All but one of the islands are a nature reserve, but you can land on Burgess Island for a walk up to the lighthouse and lunch on the beach.
- One of the best dive locations in NZ!
- A must for the intrepid traveler!
Great Barrier Island:
Consisting of numerous inlets and harbours, this island is inhabited by approximately 1000 people, with a strong emphasis on sustainable living, and reflects what life was like in New Zealand decades ago.
- Excellent diving & snorkeling with spectacular scenery!
- 2 day / overnight packages available including boat or island accommodation.
- The worlds’ newest ‘Night-Sky Sanctuary’ with amazing star-gazing!
- Boat trip to / from either of the island destinations listed
- Full use of snorkel gear, wetsuits, kayaks & paddle boards
- Educational commentary on the island’s history, ecology & conservation
- Dolphin sightings are very common, as well as sting ray & eagle ray, many species of fish & sea birds
- A homemade lunch is provided as well as afternoon snack, tea, coffee, & hot chocolate
*Only available during the summer season. We are still available for private charters to these destinations during winter.
Summer Season (November 1 – April 30) 9am – 6pm
All trips depart from:
Sandspit Yacht Club Marina, 1287 Sandspit Rd, Warkworth.
- Adults NZD$225
- Children (5-15yrs) NZD$140
- Family (2 Adults / 2 Children) NZD$595
Under 5yrs FREE
Private Charter NZD$1500 (up to 12 passengers, catering not included)
another happy Gulf Eco Adventurer
What an amazing day! The islands are beautiful and you can tell Kurt the host is very knowledgeable and passionate about the area & wildlife. The boat was also clean and new, and was fully equipped with everything you needed to snorkel, kayak and paddle board with wet suits. Lunch was great, with some especially delicious homemade muffins and hot drinks. And the marine life was amazing, we saw lots of fish, a sting ray, a school of squid and a pod of dolphins who stayed around to play with us for an hour!Natasha
Ready to book your Gulf Eco Adventure?
WE SURE ARE
Our Boat 'Kokomo'
Kokomo is an 11m aluminium launch fully surveyed to take up to 12 passengers. Capable of cruising at 20-24 knots, and with a maximum speed of 32 knots, she will get you out to great dive spots & remote islands quickly & comfortably.
Kurt Salmond, together with wife Clair and kids Jesse & Mikayla, started Gulf Eco Adventures in 2016, to share our love of the outer Hauraki Gulf, and to help educate people on sustainable living and environmental awareness.
Kurt is a fully qualified skipper with Maritime New Zealand, and holds a current first aid certificate. He is also a volunteer with the local Coastguard unit.
Our boat is berthed at the Sandspit Yacht Club marina, 1287 Sandspit Road, Warkworth. It is just a 45 minute drive north of Auckland city. Turn off SH1 at Warkworth and follow the signs to Sandspit.
How do I get there if I don’t have a car?
There is a regular bus service from Auckland City to Warkworth. Nakedbus.com usually has the cheapest fares for about $40 return. We offer a FREE transfer service between Warkworth town and Sandspit so just us know your bus times and we will see you there!
Book Your Eco Adventure NOW!
- Individual / Group / Corporate & Private Bookings Accepted –