Full Day Island Explorer
Full Day Island Explorer (9 hrs)
Snorkel – Kayak – Paddle Board – Wildlife – Sightseeing
Next Available Public Trip: Wednesday 20th February
For the most unforgettable Adventure Boat Cruise to the most remote & pristine off-shore islands of Aucklands’ Hauraki Gulf.
Destinations include either: Great Barrier Island, the Mokohinau Islands, or the Hen & Chicken Islands.
This 9 hour boat trip includes all our water-based activities, including snorkeling, kayaking & paddle boarding, with each location very unique. Most of the islands are nature reserves, with great bird & marine life, crystal clear waters, and stunning scenery.
Travel time to each of the islands is approximately 2 hours, during which there are great opportunities for dolphin spotting! Once we arrive at the islands we take you to the best locations for snorkeling, kayaking & paddle boarding, surrounded by incredible scenery.
This is an action-packed day, taking you to 2-3 different snorkeling locations, a sheltered bay for lunch and plenty of time to kayak, paddle board, or just relax and admire the inspiring scenery & serenity. Exploring stunning rock formations, caves & steep cliffs, with excellent wildlife viewing opportunities!
Note: The Full Day Island Explorer is only available during the summer season, October 1st – April 30th.
Island Explorer Destinations
Hen & Chicken Islands
Taranga Island & Marotere Islands -five islands that have been a protected nature reserve & wildlife refuge for more than 60 years!
- Renowned for its birdlife, many species of which are extinct on the mainland.
- Surrounded by rocky reefs and are known for excellent diving & snorkeling.
- Great opportunities for dolphin sightings.
A small group of remote islands lying furthest from the mainland. The surrounding sea has crystal clear waters teeming with sea life.
- All but one of the islands are a nature reserve, but you can land on Burgess Island for a walk up to the lighthouse and lunch admiring the 360deg panoramic views!.
- One of the best dive locations in NZ!
- A must for the intrepid traveler!
Great Barrier Island:
Consisting of numerous inlets and harbours, this island is inhabited by approximately 1000 people, with a strong emphasis on sustainable living, and reflects what life was like in New Zealand decades ago.
- Excellent diving & snorkeling with spectacular scenery!
- 2 day / overnight packages available including boat or island accommodation.
- The worlds’ newest ‘Night-Sky Sanctuary’ with amazing star-gazing!
- Boat trip to / from either of the island destinations listed
- Full use of snorkel gear, wetsuits, kayaks & paddle boards
- Educational commentary on the island’s history, ecology & conservation
- Dolphin / whale / seal sightings are possible, excellent underwater life including sting ray & eagle ray, many species of fish & sea birds
- A homemade lunch is provided as well as afternoon snack, tea, coffee, & hot chocolate
*Only available during the summer season. We are still available for private charters to these destinations during winter.
Summer Season Only (Nov. 1st – April 30th) 9am – 6pm
All trips depart from:
Sandspit Public Wharf, Sandspit Rd, Warkworth.
- Adults NZD$225
- Children (5-15yrs) NZD$125
- Family (2 Adults / 2 Children) NZD$599
Under 5yrs FREE (with a full Paying adult)
Private Charter: NZD$1575 (up to 12 passengers, catering not included)
Scuba Diving Charters: NZD$1400 (up to 8 divers, equipment not included)
Overnight / Multi-Day Trips: from NZD$2500 (2 days / 1 night) Sleeps up to 6 passengers plus skipper.
Please inquire about tailored personal trips to the destination & duration of your choice. We can also help to arrange island accomodation on Great Barrier Island.
*Minimum of 4 passengers required for public trips.
View our Cancellation Policy on our Book Now page
Ready to book your Gulf Eco Adventure?
WE SURE ARE
another happy Gulf Eco Adventurer
What an amazing day! The islands are beautiful and you can tell Kurt the host is very knowledgeable and passionate about the area & wildlife. The boat was also clean and new, and was fully equipped with everything you needed to snorkel, kayak and paddle board with wet suits. Lunch was great, with some especially delicious homemade muffins and hot drinks. And the marine life was amazing, we saw lots of fish, a sting ray, a school of squid and a pod of dolphins who stayed around to play with us for an hour!
Our Boat 'ECO WARRIOR'
ECO WARRIOR is an 11m aluminium launch fully surveyed to take up to 12 passengers. Capable of cruising at 20-24 knots, and with a maximum speed of 32 knots, she will get you out to great dive spots & remote islands quickly & comfortably.
Kurt Salmond, together with wife Clair and kids Jesse & Mikayla, started Gulf Eco Adventures in 2016, to share our love of the outer Hauraki Gulf, and to help educate people on sustainable living and environmental awareness.
Kurt is a fully qualified skipper with Maritime New Zealand, and holds a current first aid certificate. He is also a volunteer with the local Coastguard unit.
Our departure is from Sandspit Public Wharf, at the end of Sandspit Road, Warkworth. It is just a 50 minute drive north of Auckland city. Turn off SH1 at Warkworth and follow the signs to Sandspit.
There is a public carpark at the wharf, with info centre, cafe & public toilets. For travellers, Sandspit Holiday Park is just across the road, or there are numerous well-priced b&b accommodation locally.
How do we get there?
www.intercity.co.nz offer a daily return bus service from Auckland city or the airport to Warkworth town. We provide FREE transfers between Warkworth & Sandspit, just let us know when you book.
For larger groups and private charters, we can help to arrange a private shuttle bus / coach to get you to / from Sandspit.
Book Your Eco Adventure NOW!
– Individual / Group / Corporate & Private Bookings Accepted –